VLC Media Player Context Menu Fix

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Mun, May 23, 2014.

1. Mun

Mun Administrator

I work for a local school district and we over the years have fallen in love with VLC Media Player. However, our aging lineup of Windows XP desktops ran into a little hiccup. This hiccup was there was no longer a context menu on our DVD/CD drives. This is a major problem as we built our instructions and taught our users to utilize this option. With it gone many of our clients began contacting us via our work order system stating they couldn’t start VLC. Though this can be easily bypassed by going directly to the program or opening up the DVD/CD and right clicking the Video_TS folder, it still didn’t work for us. So I spent a little time digging around “Folder Options.” In folder options I was able to fully see that DVD had all the proper context menu options, but for some reason Win. XP didn’t seem to realize that it was a DVD. I did a few basic trouble tips and removed VLC and reinstalled, but to no avail. I looked even further and checked to make sure things were still working in other places, and we were able to recognize that the issue effected XP exclusively, and not other operating systems like Win. 7. So I decided the best option was to add a new context menu item for “Drive.” This, creates another issue though by making all drives including c:/ to show in there context menu “Play With VLC Media Player.” In the end we decided that this was okay and if clicked by accident would only bring up VLC and show an error log that could quickly be exited out of.

Now for the fix:

Please note, this is a fix that you as a user must take heed towards, as we take no responsibility for any damages or other issues that may occur. We are editing a very complicated set of variable that may in the end cause more damage towards the computer if you aren’t careful. If you have installed VLC in a specific section other then the default this may also cause issues. Please take a few moments to thoroughly google and look over the process and code we are presenting so that you understand what we are changing.

In any case there is two options. One being to do it manually, the other being a regedit. I will do the manual process first.

Start ~ This is by default located at the bottom left corner of your screen.
    Open “My Computer”
    Tools ~ This will be in the menu of the window
    “Folder Options…”
    “File Types” ~ Should be located in the 3rd tab.
    Now select (NONE) Drive and clock advanced
    In the Action: Filed fill in the name that you wish to appear in the context menu. I used “Play With VLC Media Player”
    Click browse and browse to VLC. Path should be C:/Program Files/videolan/vlc.exe
    Click ok
    Click Apply and ok
    right click your DVD drive and verify it is working, if it isn’t double check the steps above.
    Pat your self on the back.

Regedit way:

VLC_Fix.zip

VLC_Fix_64.zip

Download the above
    unzip
    browse to “VLC_On_DvD_Menu_fix.reg” can be found. Should be ./VLC_Fix/VLC_Fix/
    double click “VLC_On_DvD_Menu_fix.reg” and click yes.
    Read the second prompt and click okay.
    Double check to make sure it works by going to Start > My Computer and right clicking one of the DVD drives.
    If this failed you may want to do this the manual way listed above.

Well I hope that helps.

Update:

I have added an undo reg that will remove all edits created by the reg file listed above.

Unreg

Download the file above, should be named ‘UNDO_VLC_On_DvD_Menu_fix.reg.zip’
    unzip file.
    double click UNDO_VLC_On_DvD_Menu_fix.reg
    click yes
    read the prompt and click applicable button.
    Double check by going to Start > My Computer and right click your DVD drive and make sure ‘Play With VLC Media Player’ is not shown in the context menu.
    If it fails you should go all the way back up and do the manual process and delete it instead of add it.