Protecting server from bad bots?

Discussion in 'Server Stuff' started by Mark, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

I wondered if anybody could advise on the best way to stop bad bots from hitting my server? I'm not a sys admin or anything fancy, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty if pointed in the right direction.

I'm hoping for something fairly simple, but current and effective, I can use on dedicated Apache servers. I found a recently updated blocker file on github (https://github.com/mariusv/nginx-badbot-blocker) but it is for nginx and I'm unsure whether it will work on an Apache server or how to make compatible.

I'd love to hear people's views and advice on how best to proceed.

Thank you.

edge likes this.
  2. Mun

Mun Administrator

You could put nginx in front of your apache servers via proxy pass, or you could utilize cloudflare to some small degree.

Currently I use nginx as my front end for my servers, and apache as the backend for the rest.

edge likes this.
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

Hi Mun,

Thanks for the reply - it seems uisng nginx in front is the way forward then..
    I'll go and see what I can find out in regards to doing this correctly, but any pointers appreciated ;)

Regards.

4. Mun

Mun Administrator

5. Mark

Mark New Member

It sure does, thank you.

I'll let you know how I get on :)